Day 3: Flip from busy to time-managed
It’s easy to ignore the importance taking time for ourselves. We often neglect schedule in time for meaningful activities that enrich our lives, thinking instead that we’ll be happy with merely filling our time with business. But by stuffing your days full of busy, busy, busy, you don’t have time to do what you really should be doing—enjoying your life, even if it’s just in bite-sized servings of some awesome you-time.
If you find yourself feeling frazzled, and thinking that there’s no way take time out for yourself, it’s probably time to slow down and pay attention to the important stuff. The stuff that is going to help you flip your mindset and see the endless possibilities of joy and happiness in your life. Here are some ideas to help you flip out of the "I've got to stay busy" mindset, and help you R-E-L-A-X by being more productive with less work!
1. Look into having your groceries delivered. I use both Amazon Fresh, and Instacart, usually depending on which one is offering free delivery that day. Or, if you want to save even more time. Use a meal kit service. My favorite meal kits for fresh and healthy meals are HelloFresh and Sunbasket.
2. Find a cleaning lady to come once every two weeks for two hours. You can use the Handy app to schedule regular cleanings or a one-time job if you just need a hand for the day. Use this link for $40 off.
3. Pay your kid to do a chore you hate.
4. Start carrying a book to read while you wait in line. Or, better yet, download the Kindle app on your phone and you'll never forget your book again.
6. Find a local teenager to cut your grass. Or, use the Handy app and link on #2.
8. Make a list. Rather than letting all the things you have to do swirl about in your head uncontrollably and continuously, make a list and get it out of your head. Part of regaining time is being more efficient and making the most of your time.
9. Schedule less. To this you might say, “Ummm...yeah, right” but if overwhelm is becoming a regular state of mind, perhaps you should consider doing less. And, if you try to do #allthethings! you will end up in a cycle of overwhelm.
10. Get more sleep. When you are well-rested, you are better able to function, and better able to get shit done. When you’re exhausted - guaranteed you will feel more scattered and overwhelmed.
11. Sign up for a clothing shopping service, especially if you hate shopping. My favorite for clothes I keep is Stitch Fix. I also use LeTote; they send you clothes every month to borrow, and you send them back without even having to wash them! Double time saver, right there. Use this link to try for free!
12. Set limits on how much time you spend online or watching TV. When you’re overwhelmed and exhausted - Netflix is all you want to do. But those 6 hours you just spent binge watching The Real Housewives of New Jersey aren’t making you any less stressed out. Tomorrow’s handout will help you think of better ways to use your you-time.
Keep Your Momentum Going!
Keep your spirits high and your momentum going.
I know as well as anyone how hard it can be to flip your life. We are creatures of nature, after all. But I 100% believe in you!
How are you doing with your 5-Day 40yearflip Mindset Challenge?
Head online and let us know so you can inspire other 40yearflip friends. Tag us at #40yearflip
Don’t flip out. Flip your life.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.