Day 1: Good mornings and good nights
It is incredibly empowering to be awake before the rest of the world has even peeled open their eyeballs. PLUS it gives you some quiet time to decide what kind of day you are going to have.
So what should you do during your magic morning time? While it may be tempting to stumble out of bed and plunge right onto social media - resist! Instead, use the time for a quiet meditative activity.
Read about a new topic you’d like to learn about.
Start a gratitude journal - research shows writing down just 3 things that you are grateful can dramatically shift your mindset.
Read the rest of this handout for more ideas AND for tips on how to get your buns to bed earlier... so getting up earlier is a breeze!
Pick 1 new morning time activity to start tomorrow and 1 new bedtime ritual to implement tonight.
4 TIPS FOR GETTING TO BED EARLY AND HAVING A KICKASS SLEEP
Start winding down earlier than you usually do. This will mean avoiding all screens for 2 hours before you want to be asleep.
Create new bedtime rituals. Dim the lights. Take a nice hot bath with some lavender and epsom salts. Make sure your bedroom is nice and cool. Set out your clothes for the next day. Write in your journal. Committing to a bedtime routine will help cue your body to prepare for sleep.
Find a way to fall asleep quickly. Guided meditation apps, calming essential oils, reading in bed, use a white noise machine. Count sheep. Even just focusing on your breathing can help you drift off.
My number one tip to falling asleep with ease is to put your essential oils to use. My favorite sleepy time oils are:
Don’t take your phone to bed. Go old school. Make sure you have an alarm clock that you don’t hate. There’s nothing worse than the jarring sounds of some alarm clocks. Tune it into a classical radio station and set it for your brand new wake up time.
12 MAGIC MORNING TIME ACTIVITIES
1. Daydream! Yes, I'm serious. Just let your mind wander and daydream. The trick is though, that no worrying is allowed. Keep it positive, my 40yearflip friend.
2. Adult coloring book: coloring is not just for kids anymore! Coloring can be a great way to nourish your creativity and also meditative. Check out this blog post for more information on adult coloring and other ways to use creativity as a form of self care.
3. Diffuse brightening and calming essential oils: Give your brain a hand with some plant-based tools. Recipe: 3 drops Wild Orange (calming) and 2 drops Peppermint (awakening) . My favorite essential oils and diffusers are by doTERRA; I use them daily and couldn’t live without them.
4. Prayer or mantras
5. Read: An actual book, with chapters. Facebook is not a book. Avoid the internet!
6. Dance Party (with your music on headphones of course). Let the rest of the house keep Zzzzzzzz-ing away. This is your time.
7. Guided Meditation: Download a meditation podcast, or hit up Youtube.
8. Yoga: It doesn’t have to be anything fancy - just stretching. Again, Youtube has a ton of free yoga videos!
9. Goal setting: What do you want your life to look like? Feel like? What could you accomplish if you got up a half hour early every day?
10. Review your bucket list and write it out in your journal.
11. Gratitude Journal
12. Make a cup of herbal tea or hot water with lemon and sip it slowly while daydreaming.
13. Listen to a new podcast
14. Spend time in nature: Get your doggo and take a walk together.
Keep Your Momentum Going!
Keep your spirits high and your momentum going.
I know as well as anyone how hard it can be to flip your life. We are creatures of nature, after all. But I 100% believe in you!
How are you progressing in your 5-Day 40yearflip Mindset Challenge?
Head online and let us know so you can inspire other 40yearflip friends. Tag us at #40yearflip
Don’t flip out. Flip your life.
“This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. See my full disclosure here.”