Choosing Healthy Snacks While Detoxing or Eating Healthy
Are you a snacker? Do you find yourself roaming to the kitchen and rifling through your snack drawer or refrigerator? What types of snacks to you reach for?
We all snack, but some of us snack more than others. And, some of us snack better than others.
I have a few rules to follow when it comes to snacking to keep me on track:
1. Be prepared ahead of time with wholesome snacks so that I don’t reach for the less wholesome ones. This could mean stocking up on healthy premade snacks or chopping up veggies and fruit to have on hand. If you don’t have time for either of those things, the internet is your friend!
My favorite online snack sources:
Thrive Market: Thrive Market is like a giant health food store, all online, but with way cheaper prices! They have everything from snacks to bath salts, and even baby and pet supplies.
Their foods section, including the snack section, is broken down by dietary specifics, which is great if you follow any sort of diet or eating philosophy or have an allergy, including vegan, kosher, paleo, nut-free, and more. Follow the link I provided for 25% off your first order.
Nature Box: Nature Box is a snack-lover’s paradise. They have nothing but tons, and tons, and tons of healthy but tasty snacks. You can even automate your snacks so that your favorites come to you on a regular basis, without your having to lift a finger. And, you all know how much I love automating shopping! And their customer service is super; if you don’t like a snack, they refund your money. Use the link provided for $25 in free snacks.
Daily Harvest: Daily Harvest is my jam. They deliver super-healthy smoothies, soups, frozen meals, and breakfasts to you in handy-dandy to-go cups. My freezer is full of their smoothies. Daily Harvest smoothies are packed with superfoods and they are SO GOOD. This way, even if I’m in a rush, I know I can zip one up in the blender, put my reusable straw in the cup, and dash, knowing I have a crazy-healthy snack or breakfast with me. Use the link provided for 3 free smoothies or other items from their shop.
2. If I do reach for a sweet treat or indulgent savory snack, I make sure I stop everything I’m doing and really enjoy the heck out of it. By that I mean, really taste it and take my time eating it in a deliberate manner. Which, ladies, means not in front of the TV, not while scrolling through Facebook. Just be with your indulgent snack. And, then, when you are done, DO NOT feel guilty about it. Instead, be sure that going forward, in the nearest future, you make healthy choices.
3. I never let myself get super hungry. When you’re hungry, that’s when your cravings kick into high gear and your willpower is down, causing you to make less-than-awesome choices. Healthy, conscious snacking keeps your metabolic engine running smoothly all day, helping your body process and digest food constantly and in small amounts. This is much easier on your digestive system than trying to process three large meals. Incorporating healthy snacks can help you maintain a healthy weight and keep your energy levels at their best.
Here are some of my favorite healthy snacks:
1. Yogurt with Fruit and Nuts or Seeds
This is such a reliable snack because it is a great combination of protein, healthy fats, and fiber. If you eat dairy, choose Greek yogurt, which is high in protein. If you stay away from dairy, there are a lot of great dairy free yogurts available; my favorite is coconut milk yogurt.
2. Piece of Fruit & 10 Almonds
Any fruit sweet enough to curb your sugar tooth, plus the fat and protein found in almonds will sustain you and your blood sugar, leaving you feeling satisfied.
Smoothies, especially green smoothies, are a perfect snack, and a great addition to a weight loss plan because they can pack a big nutritional punch and are easy to digest. Adding avocados, spinach, or kale for major health benefits like vitamins and fiber, and throw in berries, apples, cherries, peanut butter, or bananas for protein and flavor.
4. Vegetables and Hummus
Hummus is packed with protein to keep you fuller, longer, and it’s creamy so it satisfies your cravings for something creamy and indulgent. One of my go-to snacks is to cut up Romaine lettuce into chip-sized bites and scoop up some hummus. I top my hummus with Zaatarto add even more savory goodness!
5. Celery Sticks with Sunflower Butter
Sunflower butter is an excellent nut-butter alternative. It is creamy and savory and tastes like an indulgent snack. The fat content of the sunflower butter satisfies your cravings and keeps you full until the next meal time. And the crunch of the celery is so satisfying.
Here’s one of my favorite smoothies to make:
1 cup spinach
1 orange, peel removed
11/2 cups coconut water or coconut water kefir
1 handful of parsley
5 mint leaves
Blend all the ingredients and enjoy!